Sunday 23 January 2011

Shakespeare's Indoor Theatre

When I was Leverhulme Research Fellow at Shakespeare's Globe, I was thrilled to be involved, watching the building take shape, working with the directors and actors on the first productions there. It was an immense sadness to everyone that Sam Wanamaker who worked so hard to realise his dream of recreating the Globe did not live to see the first performances.

He also planned on reconstructing an indoor Jacobean theatre on the site, and when the Globe was built, the shell of the indoor theatre was built, but we knew that this would have to be delayed until there were the resources to develop the space.

So I'm thrilled that now that is going to happen. I can't wait to see The Tempest in the indoor theatre. It was for a theatre space like this that Shakespeare wrote his wonderfully surreal masterpiece.

And that's got me thinking about film adaptations of The Tempest...

No comments: