Saturday 15 January 2011

The King's Speech Ending

**SPOILERS ALERT!**
Was anyone else bothered by the last few shots of The King's Speech?

I found it sentimentalizing and trite. It wasn't necessary to cut from Colin Firth's (Bertie) face to Geoffrey Rush's (Lionel) face twice. And why on earth were we left with Lionel on the screen at the very end? This was Bertie's story.

I have to confess that I have an in-built 'punching the emotion too much' detector when I watch a film. And though Colin Firth himself never struck an inauthentic note, there were moments in the film where the director imposed a sentimentalizing dollop of syrup. These were in such stark contrast to the powerful restraint and emotional truth of Firth's performance that they felt doubly jarring.

But it's that ending which almost ruined the watching experience for me. If only they'd just left us with a close-up of Firth's admirably restrained expression.

No comments: